If you are interested in cutting down your own Christmas tree this year, the following tree farms all have cut your own Christmas tree options (the farms offer precut options too). Following this list is a tip guide on how to select the perfect tree as well as care instructions to ensure that your living tree stays healthy throughout the season.
All within 1 hour of Oakville.
Cut yourwn or pre-cut pine, spruce and fir. There is also a gift barn, Santa and Mrs. Claus on select weekends, treats and horse drawn carriage rides.
Open weekdays noon to 7pm; weekends 9am to 5pm.
Location: 4231 Derry Rd., West of Milton between Appleby and Walkers Line
Cut your own or pre-cut eco friendly trees on a pristine conservation-like setting by Spencer Creek. All trees are free of herbicides and pesticides. Scotch and White pine, Balsam fir and spruce varieties available. Also enjoy hot cider, wagon rides and candy canes for the kids! Open weekends: Sun up to sun down. Appointment only on weekdays.
Location: 1233 Safari Road,Millgrove, ON (located on the way to the African Lion Safari)
Cut your own or pre-cut Scotch and White Pine: White and Norway Spruce, Balsam Fir or Colorado. It is recommended to bring your own saw, however you can borrow with a $10 deposit. Open Daily 8:00am to 4:00pm from the last weekend of November until December 24th.
Location: Three locations to choose from in Flamborough and Hamilton, ON (visit website for details)
Cut your own or pre-cut pine & spruce, fir. Also hay rides on weekends, hot cider and homemade treats for sale too. Open every day of the week, from Nov. 29th to Dec. 24th , 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Cash only.
Contact: 519 621-1438
Location: Near the village of Rockton, ON (visit website for details)
Cut your own or pre-cut White Spruce, Fraser Fir, Balsam, Scotch Pine and other varieties. Larger trees are available on pre-order. There is also premade wreaths, urns, decorations and edibles on hand too. Open weekends beginning Nov 28th and afternoons daily.
Location: 7156 White Church Road, Mount Hope, Ontario
Cut your own or pre-cut Balsam Firs and Fraser Firs. Also visit the Christmas store for home decorating needs this Christmas. In addition there will be hay rides, cookie decorating, bonfires, hot chocolate and more.
Nov 15 – 30: Open daily from 9am to 5pm
Dec 1 – 23: M-F 8:30AM to 8PM. Weekends from 8:00am to 5:30pm. Open until noon on Dec 24th.
Location: 1974 Concession Road 2 W, R.#1,Hamilton (Lynden), ON
Tips For Selecting A Fresh Christmas Tree
1. Figure out where you want to display the tree before actually going to get a tree. This way, you will know how tall a tree that you can get.
2. To test how fresh a tree is, hold a branch about six inches from the tip, between thumb and forefinger, than pull your hand toward you allowing the branch to slip through your fingers. Needles should not fall off to the branch and not fall off in your hand either.
3. Bend a needle between your forefinger and thumb. The needle should form a "U" without breaking. Otherwise it is will probably not last long.
4. For pre-cut trees lift tree a couple of inches from off the ground, bring it down briskly on the stump. Outside needles should not fall in large numbers. (Inside needles shed naturally every year).
5. The tree should have a fresh fragrance and a brilliant green color.