Letting the liquid absorb while the pot is in the oven makes this much faster to make than traditional risotto. We still found it very creamy and were really pleased at how this recipe came out. Serve with a side saled for a complete meal.
1. Preheat the oven to 450F degrees.
2. Heat 1 TBSP of butter in a Dutch oven or ovenproof pot over high heat.
3. Add the broccoli and stir-fry until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
4. Add the sausage, onion and carrot to the pot and cook, breaking up the meat, until browned, about 5 more minutes. Add the rice and garlic and cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
5.Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and 1 cup water; cover and bring to a boil. Transfer the pot to the oven and bake until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
6.Remove the pot from the oven. (The risotto will seem wet; it will thicken when you add the cheese.) Rapidly stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the cheese until creamy.
7. Stir in the broccoli and divide among bowls to serve.